Stuart Forbes Associates was established in 2005 by Stuart Forbes after a 15 year career, working on a number of highly acclaimed projects, at Richard Rogers Partnership (now Rogers, Stirk, Harbour and Partners) and quickly grew into a flourishing practice working across a broad range of architectural projects.
In 2016 Stuart was joined by Neil Southard as a Director, who also had a long career at Richard Rogers Partnership, and with whom Stuart studied at the Royal College or Art in their formative years. Together with a talented group of young architects Stuart Forbes Associates has grown into a dynamic practice which prides itself on the delivery of high quality architecture.
We consider each project to be unique, and the practice is sensitive to the needs of each individual client's brief and the individual site specifics. What is consistent throughout each project however, is the provision of a highly accessible, personal service and the ruthless pursuit of creating original and inspiring results. The building range within the practice portfolio is significant which spans from the complexities of high profile International projects, to the bespoke nature of direct ‘client end user’ appointments of individual houses and apartments.
The Office Instagram
We offer a complete architectural and interiors service from inception, concept design, statutory approvals, contractor procurement, to on site project management .
- Interior Architecture
- Interior Design
- Furniture Design
- Project Management and Administration
- Working across both small and large scale projects
- Working on a range of different contractual relationships in the UK and abroad
- Bringing together and managing other leading professionals within a project team
- Sensitive & complex planning applications including: Historic building preservation and Grade Listed properties, Sites within conservation areas, flooding zones and outstanding natural beauty and complex landlord negotiation
- Understanding relevant regulations and requirements regarding sustainability and statutory requirements including Lifetime homes & Disability Discrimination Act Compliance (UK) and Estidama & American National Standards Institute Compliance (Abu Dhabi)
- Media sensitive and high public profile projects
- Complex client relationships with landlords, planning authorities and press
- Technically complex work including large scale estate management and infrastructure works
MA (Rca) riba arb
Stuart graduated from the Royal College of Architecture with an MA in Architecture and Design Studies in 1989 and has been a member of the RIBA since 1991. After post graduate periods at Richard Horden Associates (HCL) and Weston Williamson, Stuart began work at Richard Rogers Partnership in 1990 on a short term contract to work on Japanese projects.
Fifteen years later, with buildings including Heathrow Terminals 1 & 5, The Millennium Dome and 88 Wood Street under his belt, Stuart decided to spread his wings once again and bring his ‘big practice’ experience to a ‘small practice setting’ by forming his own practice with a mission to deliver a very hands on service to clients and to create lively, vibrant, beautifully detailed architecture.
Stuart’s personable and enthusiastic demeanour combined with his wealth of experience and a deep understanding of how buildings function has meant that the practice has enjoyed huge success.
In addition to spearheading his growing practice Stuart is committed to teaching the next generation of architects and has lectured at Cambridge, Nottingham and Kingston Universities as well as the Royal College of Art. He was also a part of the Reading Construction Forum initiating change and ‘Best practice’ within the construction industry and was an advisor to the RIBA in their consultation with the industry in the reconstruction of the Part 3 curriculum.
In his day Stuart was a Great Britain oarsman, gathering silverware around the world, but now has hung up his oars and spends his spare time on his bike or ferrying around his children or walking the family dog.